Registered Nurse (Associate Degree or Diploma): A registered nurse who is authorized by a license to practice nursing as a registered professional nurse, who holds an associate or diploma degree in nursing, AND who has three years of experience, two of which are in treating individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities in a medical setting or a community-based setting for delivery of nursing services.
Registered Nurse (Bachelor's Degree): A registered nurse who is authorized by license to practice nursing as a registered professional nurse AND who holds a Bachelor's degree in nursing with one-year experience in treating individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities in a medical setting or a community-based setting for delivery of nursing services.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Supervises self-administration of medication
- Nurse will ensure direct support professionals involved in medication administration will follow written procedure for self-administration of medication.
- Assure proper method, time and dosage are indicated by established individualized medication record and/or nursing plan
- Explain medication and treatment to individual and/or guardian
- Observes and records individual's response and/or medication side affects
- Update HRST Records
- Monitors and ensures adequate supply of necessary medications
- Develop individualized healthcare protocols, monitoring, reporting and, if applicable, preventative healthcare maintenance, to include but not limited to the following healthcare needs:
- Bowel Elimination (Constipation and Diarrhea);
- Skin Care;
- Fluid Intake (Hydration);
- Diabetes; and
- Protocols for medication schedule for critical and non-critical timings.
Perform medical care and health screenings
- Interviews individuals and/or family members to obtain a thorough medical history.
- Takes vital signs and performs other tests as required by following established guidelines.
- Responsible for the ongoing assessment of health status to ensure timely and effective interventions in the preventative and/or maintenance healthcare.
- Participates in emergency healthcare.
- Refers individuals to other healthcare services as appropriate.
Maintains and supervises the maintenance of medical records.
- Records to reflect timely, concise, accurate, legible and complete
- Responsible for the planning, implementation and evaluation of the Nursing care plans and nursing care as written in the Individualized Program Plans.
- Responsible for the continued evaluation of all medical and health related records.
- Implements physician's orders and updates medical care as necessary.
- Participates as a member of the Quality Assurance committee.
- Attends all ISP Meetings for high risk individuals, as assigned.
- Participates in team conferences, sharing knowledge, information and ideas with team members.
- Participates in the pre-admission evaluation of proposed individuals, chart reviews, and development of discharge plans.
Attend training, seminars and workshops as required by Supervisor, ORS, and DHR. Also, conduct training in field of expertise when assessed as needed or as instructed by Supervisor.
- Attendance records to verify training and workshops submitted to Supervisor with 48hrs
- Complete at least 16hrs of continuing education annually
- Conduct training in the field of expertise when determined as needed or instructed by Supervisor.
- Attend and participates positively in all staff training activities and seek opportunities to improve to improve own competencies and professional knowledge, as necessary.
- Current/Valid Georgia RN License
- At least three years' experience two of which are in treating individuals with
intellectual/developmental disabilities in a medical setting or a community-based setting for delivery of nursing services.
- Provides support and assistance to individuals with developmental disabilities to enable them to live valued lives in the community
- Performs all professional duties within the scope of licensure and in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act
- Monitors and reviews implementation of medication administration documentation, medical appointments and follow up visits
- Will participate and provide training to staff as required
- Responsible for completing, sending and following up on physician consultation forms as necessary regarding health concerns/illness of the individuals served
- Will accompany individuals on appointments when needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Must Successfully complete the required pre-employment Background and Drug Screenings
- Must possess a valid Driver's License which meets company standards for approved driver status
- Must possess basic computer skills
- Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent
- Current and valid State of employment Registered Nurse License
- Strong clinical skills and knowledge of management principle is required
- Experience working in the field of Developmental Disabilities preferred
Job Type: Full-time
- Experience in the disability field preferred: 1 year
Required license or certification:
- RN License